Hello,

this came up in the discussion of
https://github.com/ietf-wg-acme/acme/issues/435 ("An optional MIME
parameter for  application/pem-certificate-chain?"). I'm interested in
a reliable way to retrieve the root certificate, resp. the complete
certificate chain including a root certificate. This is sometimes
needed, for example for setting up an AWS ELB load balancer, or for
configuring OCSP verification in nginx, and also to simply verify the
validity of the returned chain down to the root.

During the discussion in the Github issue, Logan Widick suggested a
boolean MIME parameter (with suggested name "includeroot") for
application/pem-certificate-chain.

Since the issue (originally about another MIME parameter) is now
closed, I want to bring this suggestion up on the mailing list. My
suggestion would be that this parameter is optional (with no explicit
default value, i.e. the default is to do what the ACME server already
did before), and a formulation which suggests the server SHOULD respect
this parameter. I think the name "includeroot" is fine, but it could
also be "include-root" or something different.

Are there any opinions on this?

Thanks and best regards,
Felix Fontein