Hello,

Draft-ietf-acme-ip-05 specifies that for the tls-alpn-01 challenge, an SNI
value with the in-addr/ipv6.arpa domain name corresponding to the iPAddress
being validated MUST be specified. I have a concern that this requirement
suffers the same problem that rendered tls-sni-01 insecure: namely, an
arbitrary user on a shared hosting provider could upload an arbitrary
certificate for the required .ip-addr/ipv6.arpa domain, thus circumventing any
security provided by the mandatory SNI extension.

The mandatory ALPN extension prevents this from being exploited to obtain
fraudulent certificates, but given how trivially the SNI requirement can be
defeated in the same manner as for tls-sni-01, I don’t believe that requiring
SNI provides any security value and is not necessary. If the intent for
requiring the SNI extension is to convey to the TLS server that an IP address
is being validated, couldn’t that similarly be accomplished by *not* specifying
any SNI extension at all? Tls-apln-01 (for dNSNames) requires that a SNI value
be specified, so TLS servers could differentiate between challenge requests for
dNSNames and iPAddress based on the presence (or absence) of the SNI extension.

Thanks,

Corey