Hi,

On 03/05/2020 06:36, Ryan Sleevi wrote:

On Sat, May 2, 2020 at 2:11 PM Ben Schwartz <bemasc=40google....@dmarc.ietf.org <mailto:40google....@dmarc.ietf.org>> wrote:

    On Sat, May 2, 2020 at 8:35 AM Alexey Melnikov
    <alexey.melni...@isode.com <mailto:alexey.melni...@isode.com>> wrote:

        Hi Ben,

        On 21/04/2020 01:12, Ben Schwartz wrote:

        On Wed, Apr 1, 2020 at 5:40 AM Alexey Melnikov
        <alexey.melni...@isode.com
        <mailto:alexey.melni...@isode.com>> wrote:

            Hi Ben,

            My apologies for missing your email in March:

        And mine for this delayed response.

            On 12/03/2020 20:42, Ben Schwartz wrote:
            Section 3 says token-part1 "contains at least 64 bit of
            entropy", but Section 3.1 says token-part1 "MUST be at
            least 64 octet long after decoding".  Is this difference
            deliberate?

            No, I obviously made a typo when saying octets. I will fix.

        Fixed.

            Also 64 octets of entropy is a _lot_.  RFC 8555 says
            "the token is required to contain at least 128 bits of
            entropy".

            The draft seems to be oriented entirely toward use with
            e-mail clients that have a built-in ACME-S/MIME client.
            I'm a bit disappointed that the draft doesn't
            accommodate users with "naive" email clients very well,
            e.g. by allowing customized subject lines.

            Actually, I was trying to accommodate naive email
            clients, but it was a fine balance trying to specify
            minimal requirements.

            Can you suggest some specific text to change and then we
            can discuss whether or not it should be done? My thinking
            about the Subject header field was that I wanted to have
            a unique subject (so that ACME email messages are easily
            findable). I also wanted to allow the token in the
            subject for APIs that can easily access Subject and not
            other header fields.

        In that case, I would suggest "... subject ending with
        "(ACME: <token-part1>)", where ...".  That would allow the
        first part of the subject (most likely to be seen by a human)
        to be human-readable.

        After thinking a bit more about this:

        As ACME servers are generating ACME challenge emails, the
        requirement on them is stricter (they create the first message
        in an email thread). I am tempted to leave this as is. Can you
        think of a case where ACME servers would be unable to comply
        with this restriction?

    My concern is that users will not know what to do if they receive
    an email whose subject line is "ACME: awlkNSdpijawrfz...".  Users
    are used to seeing emails whose subject line is "Please verify
    your email address" or "Confirm your email".  (My inbox is full of
    them.)  I see no reason to disallow that here.

    Mandating that the subject line be non-human-readable seems like
    an unnecessary barrier to adoption.

Are you expecting humans to be the primary interaction point? It almost seems that ensuring human unfriendliness is a feature, not a bug, towards the goal of automation.

This structure seems especially important if it has a chance to be adopted by publicly trusted CAs. One of the big concerns with existing validation approaches is bodies that are rich-text with links used for approval, and for which anti-spam or scanning engines inspect (“click”) and cause improper authorizations. The more structure, the better, towards preventing accidental authorizations.

Let me try to elaborate on the current choice and talk about alternatives. In general there are 3 ways how an ACME email challenge be conveyed in email:

1) In the subject line. Some structure would be helpful for automated software.

2) In a new header field.

3) In the body of the message, e.g. using "---BEGIN ACME CHALLENGE---" line in text/plain or the like.

Unfortunately all of these have their downsides:

#1 is unfriendly to users and can possibly trigger antispam processing. (Not sure how much of an issue the last part is)

#2 might not be accessible from libraries that don't support retrieval of arbitrary email header fields. (I am not sure how big of a deal this is, but I've heard some claims about that.) Also, non ACME aware clients might not be able to show this header field, making them unusable for manual processing.

#3 would either require use of text/plain (for simplicity of automated processing) or it would require HTML parser with downconversion to text/plain. I think the latter choice is a rather high barrier of entry for implementations that are not fully capable email clients, which I suspect would be too hight for some ACME servers.

So I am open to suggestions about the best choice. I think using some structured subject line (choice #1) or possibly text/plain choice #3 are the best. If there is a better structure for the subject header field, I would be happy to change the document.

Best Regards,

Alexey