I completely agree with Ryan.

  *   Do not touch 5280 as there will be too many competing interests to
improve it and interop will be broken or the bis version will be ignored.
(Years ago I wanted to re-open PKIX and I learned what a bad idea that is, and
I became ACME co-chair instead.)
  *   There are extension points within 5280 that can be used, at the loss of
built-in nameConstraints support. That doesn’t seem like a big loss, especially
as the semantics for DTN are not clear.
  *   Do not use the 5280 structures without saying this is PKIX, as that will
need to great confusion among open source implementors and their users.