Hi, Rob

The first question whenever someone proposes a bis document is, of course, “are
you volunteering to edit?”

Jokes aside, it’s always a question of whether or not it is worth the effort.
Not just for whoever is editing, but the usual effort associated with any
document, such as WG participants, shepherd, AD, IESG, various directorates,
RFC editor.

So before embarking on something like this, it’s not enough to just count the
number of errata. You need to put yourself in the shoes of a naive implementer
who doesn’t know about errata. Are the errors big enough that they might lead
them to make a mistake in the implementation?  Text that uses “example.com
<http://example.com/>” instead of “example.org <http://example.org/>” probably
isn’t. Text that says that a challenge object with an error cannot have the
“processing” status when it can likely is.

As for adding other RFCs, that’s again a judgement call. We did merge some
add-ons to IKEv2 in one of its revisions. It make sense to merge them if the
add-on is so obvious and so necessary, that pretty much every implementation of
8555 would also implement the other document. Is RFC8738 like that? Or are IP
identifiers so rare and curious that many implementations exclude them?

As always, it’s up to the group whether making a significantly bigger document
with some of the add-ons makes sense. In general, groups and ADs tend to prefer
smaller documents, but that is decided on a case-by-case basis.

Yoav