Am 24.04.2012 20:13, schrieb Thomas Pfeiffer:
On Tuesday 24 April 2012 18:11:45 Martin Gräßlin wrote:
No, that was not a need for an urgent fix. AFAIU this was for a testing image for software under development. The new window switcher layout for PA is only integrated in current KWin master, which has not yet entered the testing phase. KWin itself does not yet support any configuration update from 4.8 to current master (see Bug 296775 [1]). The plan is to have one upgrade script to handle all changes in configuration - which could have
included PA as well.

Nope, unfortunately it was not a testing image. The changes were recently
merged to the repository which the *stable* Plasma Active 2 image
provided by
basyskom uses The merge announced in [1] has happened by now and
contains the
KWin version which requires the new switcher layout. I installed the stable image, updated and experienced the bug. So any user who installed the stable PA2 Meego image on a device and did zypper ref && zypper up would have the
same problem.
Maybe the process of merging devel code into the stable repositories is
problematic, but that's the way it's currently done.
Changing that in master won't fix anything as to my knowledge PA does not depend on kde-workspace master. KWin as of 4.8 is *not* ready for usage with the new active switcher. It requires additional patches, so the only possible solution to the problem mentioned here is having more patches.

I don't know exactly what's the state of kde-workspace before and after the change, but if before state was based on the December version of 4.8 and after would have been recent KWin the issue would not have appeared at all as there was a bug in KWin's update script from 4.7 to 4.8.

I understand that you had been concerned about the situation - and rightly
you are: broken updates are an unpleasant experience. I am also not
questioning the need for the change, but the workflow of how the change got introduced. And I see here potential to improve the situation which will go
to the active mailinglist in a dedicated mail.

I don't oppose your opinion regarding the workflow. It was
unfortunate. I just
wanted to clarify why Lamarque did the fix in a bit of a hurry. This was "a series of unfortunate events", and I think we can and have learned from it.
Yes I think that is quite import to learn from the experience of such transitions.

Cheers
Martin