From: Fugleberg, David A [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, October 17, 2001 9:09 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [ActiveDir] Account Lockouts in mixed mode

We have a mixed mode AD (Single forest/single tree/single domain), with
about 20 DCs and 35 BDCs.  Accounts are administered centrally by a very
small group, and they typically connect to the DC that holds the PDC
FSMO to do all administrative tasks.

Our account lockout policy locks accounts after three bad attempts.
Over the past several months, we've seen a couple strange issues with
account lockouts:
1. Once in awhile, a user will be locked out again and again for no
apparent reason.  For example, they arrive at work, attempt to login,
and are locked out.  The admins unlock the account and the user logs in,
but if you check the account later it is locked out again. If the user
then logs out, they are unable to login because of the lock.  We've seen
this happen to a given user several times over a few days, then
mysteriously disappear.  Some users have a great deal of trouble with
this; most never see it.

2. When an account is locked out, the admin will typically unlock it by
going to the account tab on the user's object in Active Directory Users
and Computers.  In some cases, however, even after doing so the user is
unable to logon.  Since these folks are old-time NT admins, they will
then often open User Manager for Domains and try unlocking the account
from there.  Strangely, they sometimes need to perform the unlock from
BOTH tools before the user is able to logon.  At first, I thought this
was just a timing issue, or that they were looking at the account info
on different servers, but I have seen with my own eyes cases where ADU&C
connected to the PDC emulator shows one lockout status, and User Manager
for Domains shows another.

I'm trying to get the admins away from User Manager for Domains
altogether, but they don't trust 'Users and Computers' in this case.
I've tried to explain that the "Nt Domain" and the "Active Directory
Domain" are the SAME THING, but they're not buying it when they see a
different view in the two tools.

My questions:
1. Is anybody else havong similar lockout problems ?  The Q articles on
the subject don't seem to apply to this scenario.
2. When an admin uses User Manager for Domains, it obviously can make
changes only at the (emulated) PDC.  Does this mean that the lockout
status it displays is the one stored on that server, or is it possible
that it's displaying status read from a BDC ?
3. Has anyone else seen a case where they had to unlock an account using
both tools before the user could login ?
4. Is there any other reason why attributes that are displayable in User
Manager for Domains should NOT be IDENTICAL to the same attributes as
displayed in Active Directory Users and Computers ?  In other words,
does the PDC emulator store this data in a separate SAM that can somehow
be temporarily out of sync with the AD, or is the PDC emulator a
real-time conduit into the AD store ?

Thanks for any ideas...
Dave Fugleberg