Good lead.  Install WINS services until you get rid of all the 98 boxes,
then enter the WINS info in the DHCP server or fixed IP info.  Go around
and force the servers to register their WINS info with nbtstat -RR, then
have the Win9x workstations renew their info with nbtstat -R  (these
switches are case-sensitive).  See if that helps.  Alternatively, you
can force an LMHOSTS that points to the PDC role master down to their
workstations with your favorite deployment tool or script.

Tom Meunier
Network Administrator
State of Texas
Office of Court Administration