I am planning our AD migration, and I find myself on the horns of an enema,
er, I mean horns of a dilema when it comes to DNS. Specifically: depend on
client DNS "devolution" or
not?

Our existing NT4 domain is "KII" and our DNS domain is "kimball.com" (hosted
by unix bind ). All clients and servers currently use "kimball.com" as their
DNS
suffix.

I'm planning on making the Active Directory "kii.kimball.com" and my win2k
clients and servers will have their primary DNS suffix set to
"kii.kimball.com". The
domain controller for kii.kimball.com will host DNS for the kii.kimball.com
zone. The "kimball.com" zone will have CNAMES pointing xxx.kimball.com to
xxx.kii.kimball.com.

A requirement is that clients will need to access things in the
"kimball.com" domain by using a relative name (ie: wkstn1.kii.kimball.com
must be able to type "telnet unix1" and connect to unix1.kimball.com)

My question is should I make clients (win98, nt4 wkstn, 2000 pro) use
"kimball.com" or "kii.kimball.com" for their interface specific DNS domain
suffix?

If I use "kii.kimball.com" win2k clients can still use relative names to
reference things in the kimball.com domain via "devolution"  Experimentation
shows that NT4 workstation and win98 also perform DNS devolution. Win95
appears to not. I don't mind breaking win95 clients (we don't officially
support them anyway), but I can't find any place that documents that win98
performs DNS devolution, so I'm a bit afraid of depending on it.

Or, should I just make the interface-specific DNS suffix "kimball.com". I'd
have to set my win2k systems to not update DNS for their network adapters
since "kimball.com" is hosted by bind 9 with dynamic update turned OFF.

Any advice? Anyone know if DNS devolution in win98 is documented?
List FAQ    : http://www.activedir.org/list_faq.htm