We are at about the same point in a migration that involves several state
agencies.  It is extremely important that those pressing for a separate
forest
understand the reasons for doing so.  In our environment the issues are:
1.  Administrative trust (A forest root is administrated from a single
point, and
the enterprise administrators have authority throughout the forest) and,
2.  The nature of a domain (or tree of domains) within a forest as a
security
perimeter.  So far, it appears that a forest has the same security perimeter
as
an NT40 domain, while a W2K domain in a forest has a less robust security
perimeter than an independent forest or an NT40 domain.

There are definitely more administrative costs associated with
administrating
multiple forests than for administrating a single forest/single root.

Here are a couple of links that discuss the security issues:

The Aelita white paper in HTML format is here:
<http://www.w2knews.com/rd/rd.cfm?id=020211TP-Aelita_WhitePaper&mid=11822333
72458956>

A white paper from Microsoft:
http://www.microsoft.com/WINDOWS2000/techinfo/planning/activedirectory/addel