Arghhhh! Why does my pain never end!

I want to remove AD from a DC. Every time I run DCpromo an error msg box
pops up and displays :-

The system process lsass.exe terminated unexpectedly with status code
    -1073741819. The system will now shut down and restart.

  The problem only occurs when I go to dcpromo the machine so no Technet
  articles seem to be relevant.

  I have had this problem before and ran a patch suggested in a Technet
  article which I had to obtain directly from MSoft. Of course when I ran
  the patch the machine blue screened on reboot and was never to be seen
  again.

  I don't want to be in this situation again so was just seeing if anyone
  else had seen this before? and resolved it?

  A question relating: If I just accept the machine will not demote, and I
  just rebuild it, and then run DCPROMO will the machine just pick up
  more/less where it left off?

  Many Thanks,

  Rob

  Robert Rutherford
  MIS Department - DEK International GmbH
  +44 (0)1305 208232
  +44 (0)7970 122362

This E-mail and any files transmitted with it are in commercial
confidence and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity
to whom they are addressed. If you have received this E-mail in error
please notify the Administrator by E-mail ([EMAIL PROTECTED]).

Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do
not necessarily represent those of DEK Printing Machines Ltd., or its affiliates.