David, (Bryan and Chris, too!)

OK - the Service pack is relatively easy.  MS is now sending out Service
Packs with a deployment .MSI file as of SP2.  SP1 required using an
external .MSI to deploy the SP.  Take a look at this Q Article for more:

SP1 information :
http://support.microsoft.com/search/preview.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q260301
SP2 information :
http://support.microsoft.com/search/preview.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q290728

As to the question of converting a SP to an .MSI, no worries.  MS has
handled this one for you.

Now, hotfixes, etc. are a different thing.  On the Windows 2000 Server
CD is WinInstall LE (not the greatest tool, but hey, it's free and does
work) which will allow you to create .MSI files by doing a WinInstall
discovery on a clean machine, install the fix, do another discovery.
Then, you package up the changes and test it.  Then, you test it again.

Updates, apps, etc. are pretty much the same scenario.  The key is the
clean or 'build' machine and running the discovery to determine the now,
install the software you are trying to package, then the second
discovery, and finally the creation of the .MSI.

For hotfixes, refer to this :
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q314273

Good luck!  Oh, and have patience!  This is not quite an exact
science....

Rick Kingslan - Microsoft MVP [Windows NT/2000]
  Microsoft Certified Trainer
  MCSA, MCSE+I - Windows NT / 2000

"Any sufficiently advanced technology
is indistinguishable from magic."