From: Rick Kingslan [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, April 16, 2002 2:04 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: [ActiveDir] a licenses question

Glad you decided to participate - welcome aboard.

And what thorny question to ask for your first.

All vendors, and to some degreee, each package from the same vendor can
differ.

If you limit this question to desktops, the easy (though debatable and
somewhat open to loads of intepretation) answer is you need 50 licenses.
Now, if you install only 25 copies so that you know only 25 people can
use it at a given time, you would be able to buy only 25.

Now, here's the gray area.  IntelliMirror does create some licensing
questions.  It's assigned to the user.  Does this mean that I need a
license per user, or per machine that they sit at.  I've gotten two
different answers from two different license managers from Microsoft.

Thay aren't even sure how this all works.

Is that an answer?  Uhhh.... No.

It's a mess for all of us because of the inconsistent application of the
'rules' from those who maintain the 'rules'.

Sorry I couldn't be more concise.  Want to be safe?  Get 50 copies.  ;-)

Rick Kingslan - Microsoft MVP [Windows NT/2000]
  Microsoft Certified Trainer
  MCSA, MCSE+I - Windows NT / 2000

"Any sufficiently advanced technology
is indistinguishable from magic."