Title: Backup Exec

Hi all,

Thank you for replying to my previous mail and I have acted on the info received.

I have downloaded an eval version of Veritas Backup Exec and I'm having a look at it, but ( there is always a but )
I want to backup my Active directory but not the associated other bits and bobs ( i.e. System State is where you can backup the AD but only with

the registry,SysVol ,etc,etc ).

One other product ( ERDisk by Aelita ) I have tried allows me to do a "system state" backup and exclude the registry ( is it System State without the registry????)

My problem is that when a customer backs up using System State (The test by the way was performed with NTBackup.exe) and they wipe the machine and reinstall all software and ensure all the h/w/Disk configs are the same, but they seem to still mess up their Servers ( Administrator account disabled,etc). They are not happy until they have a backup procedure that we can recommend which they can have confidence with !!

I'm looking at the registry as my problem ( holds s/w and h/w info ) and therefore trying to recommend that this not be saved with the active directory , so I have to find a product that allows me to do this, ERDisk does , Backup Exec seems to not allow me , is this correct or can I save the AD alone with Backup Exec.

BTW Active Directory is where we store our app's info ,etc .

Should I be presuming this line of investigations or should I recommend a State backup with one of the other products , are they reliable ?

Sorry for all the questions , if you can answer any it will help a lot .

Regards

Eoin