From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] On Behalf Of Tony Murray
Sent: Monday, June 03, 2002 10:04 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: [ActiveDir] DC placement in AD

Hi Ken

Sorry for not being clear.

I don't think having 4 DCs (2 domains) for an organisation of 20 users makes very much sense - but is an option :-).

If you decide to have one domain (2 DCs) and to name it in line with your company name then you may wish to change this later.  At present there is no way to rename Active Directory domains (.Net Server gives you more flexibility), so if you wanted to change the name you would need to build a parallel forest with the new name and migrate your users from the old to the new.

To migrate to the new forest, you need not go to the expense of buying 2 new DCs.  Simply demote one of your current DCs and remove it from the forest.  Create the new forest from the this (now spare) server and begin the migration.  With 20 users you should be able to do this over a weekend, so you needn't worry about having just one DC during the migration.

The alternative is to choose a name totally unrelated to your current organization.  As long as you can live with this then you should not need to migrate when the company name changes.

Tony