From: David Bradford [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, July 11, 2002 7:19 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [ActiveDir] Why Active Directory?

Hi all;

For the last 2 months I've been given the additional job of  "part time"
network admin for my company's network. Its currently 80 workstations, 2
windows 2000 servers and about 10 HP printers.

The workstations run either Win98/WinMe/Win2k Professional or WinXP
Home/Pro.

Its all running in workgroup mode and it's a pain in the butt to maintain
user accounts/passwords etc etc. 10 New users joined us today and they
needed access to both win2k servers and various printers connected to
various workstations, so off I went adding the same 10 users to all the
different machines.

Additionally, Winme and XP home sometimes can, sometimes cant see the
network. A reboot almost always cures the problem. Very annoying.

Of course, keeping track of service packs/patches -  even deploying normal
apps is a monumental task. I can see why the previous network admin left!

Basically, the network is becoming unmanageable. I'm familiar with AD and
its obvious to me that a proper directory service will do wonders for the
network but management seem to think everything is running OK at present so
why would they want to buy 2 more servers to act as domain controllers and
upgrade everyone to either win2k or WinXP pro?

The existing win2k servers are used as our fileservers and are pretty busy
so upgrading them to DC's wouldn't be desirable.

Basically, I need some reasons that I can present to management why AD will
be such a great thing for us, I've suggested user management/deploying apps
as advantages but they don't seem impressed.

What else can I add?

Thanks;

David Bradford