More details then.... :-)

We've got four Exchange servers, and use a utility I wrote to generate Domain accounts
and mailboxes for new users. It's been through
several revisions, orginally creating NT4 domain accounts and 5.5 mailboxes, but all
it does now is to create the AD account, and set enough
for the ADC to pick it up and create an Exchange 5.5 mailbox.

It creates a normal account, then adds the following attrbutes to the object
mailNickname          (alias in Exchange 5.5)
msExchHomeServerName  (Server to hold the mailbox)
textEncodedORAddress  (the mailbox X400 address)

There's a list of attributes that will trigger ADC replication if set in Q253841. This
gives a known set of mail addresses at the end, x400
is set directly and smtp is alias@.....

This worked very well for a while, then we started to see an intermittent problem
affecting mailbox permissions. Some (a high percentage)
mailboxes were created OK, but the users rights to their mailbox were simply 'Custom'
in Exchange 5.5 administrator. Accounts created via
ADU&C were fine. We never got to the bottom of this, but it is worth mentioning that
ADC has a very poor reputation, and is known to be
extremely buggy. I got around this by creating a security descriptor with the access
mask ADS_RIGHT_EXCH_MODIFY_USER_ATT |
ADS_RIGHT_EXCH_MAIL_SEND_AS |
ADS_RIGHT_EXCH_MAIL_RECEIVE_AS

then adding it to the msExchMailboxSecurityDescriptor attribute. This is basically
User permissions as far as Exchange 5.5 is concerned, so
it accepts it, then when ADC replicates from Exchange to AD it updates this attribute
to what it should be (Full mailbox access).

I hope this is some help!

Cheers
dave