Diane,

Thanks for the info - it has been a help.

Ken

-----Original Message-----
From: Ayers, Diane [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, October 02, 2002 4:22 PM
To: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
Subject: RE: [ActiveDir] Add computer to domain delegation

Kenneth:

For the easiest approach, you can use the "delegation of control Wizard" if
you don't want to try and dig into the details of the AD ACLs.  Simply right
click on the OU you want to delegate and run the wizard.

There are some issues there.  The "roles" that are defined in the wizard are
based on the roles in the .inf file "delegwiz.inf".  There is a typo in the
file that you may need to correct.  If you run the delegation wizard and
don't see the role "Join a computer to the domain" then the inf file has a
typo.  You'll need to fix this.

The files that I have seen are as follows:

;----------------------------------------------------------
[template6]
AppliesToClasses = domainDNS

Description = "Join a computer to the domain"

ObjectTypes = SCOPE

[template6.SCOPE]
computer=CC
;----------------------------------------------------------

I've tweaked the file a bit give the delete and reset rights to the
delegated admin.  Here's what I changed it to:

;----------------------------------------------------------
[template6]
AppliesToClasses=domainDns,organizationalUnit

Description = "Manage computer accounts in the domain or OU"

ObjectTypes = SCOPE, computer

[template6.SCOPE]
computer=CC,DC
[template6.computer]
CONTROLRIGHT= "Reset Password"

There is a KB article on the templates if you want more info (although it's
pretty skimpy).

HTH

Diane Ayers
Pacific Gas & Electric Co.