Please explain how you will gain any performance increases when all three of your
arrays exist on the same SCSI channel. Seems to me you have a single pipe leading to
and from multiple arrays.  It is not hard to figure where the bottle neck will be.

-----Original Message-----
From: Devan Pala [mailto:dpala@;hotmail.com]
Sent: Monday, October 21, 2002 4:15 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [ActiveDir] RAID Configuration on DC's Part 3

Hi,

Thanks for all your replies earlier.

Yes, it is true that the server only has 6 drive bays. The array controller
has 2 internal and 2 external ports but I can only use one internally since
the 6 drive bays only terminate to one SCSI port. (in this particular
server). Reason for buying the high-end controller is due to standards and a
proven track record in production.

Reason for not upgrading the chassis is primarily cost especially in the
branch offices, the root and hub-site controllers are and will be configured
entirely different, dual array controllers, quad-xeon processors etc. The
whole nine yards.

The database has been sized and definitely over-engineered for the approx.
2500 users spread over 15 sites in the Americas and Europe.

I do understand that read performance for the database will be greater under
a Raid 5 (stripe set with parity) config. but that means combining the Logs
as well. Therefore, in order to gain both performance and recovery benefits
from segregating the OS, Logs and Database to their own spindle sets makes
sense over a simple Raid 1 and Raid 5 config. (just as my mate Linton put
it). So I'm going with three Raid 1 arrays.

Cheers,