Roger,

I agree wholeheartedly.  I do, however, believe that if true, it will be
on SP4 and later.  We had a requirement for a series of fixes be
deployed to our production systems for a client application.  These
fixes were specifically IE 5.5, and were not included in SP3.  I haven't
yet determined if the fixes were past the 'freeze' point on SP3 or not.
(For reference, see Q323759)

Sadly, it seems that IE and Windows are developed by radical factions
within Microsoft that just don't get along - and worse - don't seem to
work too well together.

I hope that I'm wrong on this....

Rick Kingslan - Microsoft MVP [Windows NT/2000]
  Microsoft Certified Trainer
  MCSA, MCSE+I - Windows NT / 2000

"Any sufficiently advanced technology
is indistinguishable from magic."