From: "Tony Murray" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, November 12, 2002 10:59 AM
Subject: Re: [ActiveDir] Granular permissions : user objects

> Not every property of an object is listed in the Active Directory Users
and Computers interface.  The number of properties is quite large so the
interface only displays those that are commonly used for controlling access.
This makes the list easier to manage.

> The list of filtered object types and properties is kept in the file,
>
>  %systemroot%\System32\Dssec.dat
>
> You can modify the behavior of the filter by changing the values
associated with the properties.  For example, if you wanted to delegate the
right to unlock accounts you first need to change the value of the
lockoutTime entry in the [user] section of the file from lockoutTime=7 to
lockoutTime=0.

> To make the last name property visible, I believe you need to change the
value of "sn" in the [user] section of the file from 7 to 0.  I have not
tested this however.

> You have the following choices to specify values:
>
> Property=7: The property is not included.
> Property=6: "Read property" is included.
> Property=5: "Write property" is included.
> Property=0: Both "Read property" and "Write property" are included.
> The property is not included in DSSec.Dat: Both "Read property" and "Write
property" are included.

> You must modify the Dssec.dat file on the computer on which you are
running ADUC.  It is a good idea to make a copy of the file first before
making any changes.

> For further reading on this, please see the following Microsoft documents:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/prodtechn
ol/AD/windows2000/deploy/confeat/securead.asp

> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q294952
>
> Tony
> From: "Andy Grafton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 10:27:17 +0100
>
> MessageHi, all.
>
> Active Directory, Windows 2000, SP3, no exchange prep.
>
> Please restrain yourselves from asking "*why* do you want to do this?".
If
> you'd like to know, give me a shout offlist.
>
> I need to grant permissions for SELF to change the First Name and Last
Name

List FAQ    : http://www.activedir.org/list_faq.htm