From: "Stuart Kwan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, December 04, 2002 4:53 PM
Subject: RE: [ActiveDir] OT: Migration tools and AD

The NTLM protocol and security subsystem in Windows NT 4.0 allow for
additional SIDs other than the user's SID and their Global Group SIDs to
appear in a user's authorization data (... data which is used when
building the "token" on the machine to which you are authenticating).
SIDs from a user's SID History appear in this "additional" section in
the protocol.

Versions of Windows NT prior to 4.0 do NOT have this capability.
Windows NT 3.51 machines, for example, cannot grok SID History.

By the way, if I could go back in time (still working on the time
machine; stay tuned) I would change the name of Native mode to something
more precise, like "No more Windows NT 4.0 BDC mode."  It's just that; a
mode in which the system knows it can safely enable functionality that
downlevel DCs will not understand (like SID History, group nesting, and
universal groups).

- Stuart

[This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights.]