Hi,

the windows-hied list (there is a link from http://windows.stanford.edu)
discusses these issues for hied. There is an archive at:

http://admin.ufl.edu/windows/discussions/windows-hied/

search in the subject for "OU design".

Empty root is certainly a design option but I do not believe
that is regarded as a "best practice" as is sometimes implied
in design reviews, it's just an option. If you are a school
within a larger organization you would want to check if that
organization has any (possibly un-exercised) active directory planning or guidleines
in place.

Lee Flight
Network Support, Computer Centre
University of Leicester