Title: Message
Id say that your default recipient policy wasnt changed. Out of the box it uses the alias for its name generation.

Assuming your email addresses got overwritten and they arent in there as secondary smtp addresses I would try the following
Read this first http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3ben-us%3b285136

First off make sure that your users first name and last name are in the First Name and Last Name fields in Active Directory Users and Computers under the General tab.

Open up your copy of Exchange System Manager.
In the left hand window expand out your Organization, Recipients, then Recipient Policies.
In the right hand window double click on 'Default Policy'
Click on the tab called 'E-Mail Addresses (Policy)'. You should see a line called "smtp     [EMAIL PROTECTED]" thats in bold and checked.
Do one of the following
    Edit the [EMAIL PROTECTED] line to read [EMAIL PROTECTED]
OR
    New, SMTP address, [EMAIL PROTECTED], ok, then highlight the new smtp line and hit the 'Set as Primary' button.

Then save the policy. Right click on it and choose apply this policy now.

Or if you are feeling REALLY REALLY REALLY brave, take a look at how to do this with Ldifde (scripting with LDAP)
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3ben-us%3b313823

Another possiblity if you dont have a record of what they were originally would be to take your latest Exchange 5.5 backup pre Exchange 2000 and restore it to another server and do a directory export. With a little spreadsheet magic you can take that export and make it an import file for your production exchange 5.5 server and just import the Exchange account name, alias and smtp address. Then kick off the recipient update service in ADC.
Heres a technet article for that, http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3ben-us%3b177635

Lots of luck!
Clyde Burns