-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Greg Felzer
Sent: Tuesday, March 04, 2003 11:11 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [ActiveDir] User rights on Domain computers and security issues

We are in the process of rolling out an new desktop at MUSC using a W2K AD
infrastructure and an XP SP1 managed desktop.

We piloted out new desktop for about a month to gauge the user's
requirements for the new system.  We had made the users domain account a
member of the local power users group and enable roaming profiles.  During
out pilot testing the user base requested the ability to install hardware
devices (zip drives, biometric mouse ect) and be able to install any
software they want to locally.  The power user's right gave them the ability
to install most hardware devices EXCEPT devices that required a service to
be installed or needed to modify certain hives under HKLM.  The power user's
right also gave them the ability to install most software EXCEPT if
installation required local administrator privileges (like MS Project 2000).

Giving the user account local administrator privileges is not an option for
the security concerns that are enumerated here:

http://www.sans.org/rr/win/commonality.php

Also giving the users local administrator access would allow them to browse
other users local profile directories that had been cached.  Although we
could delete all profiles upon log off this would prevent the user from
logging onto the computer in the event of a network failure (there are no
local user accounts).

We tried to give the local power user's group full control to HKLM.  The
trouble with this is that in essence it makes them local administrators on
the machine which bring us back to our security concerns.

Any ideas....all suggestion are welcome.

Greg Felzer
MCSE NT4, MCSE 2000, CCA, CCNA, CNA
Senior Systems Engineer
Center for Computing and Information Technology
Medical University of South Carolina