Bonjour,
When you execute DCPromo to create the domain, the FSMO Domain Naming
Master wil check that DNS Name AND NetBIOS name are unique.
If the NetBIOS name is already register, it will ask you a different name.
So you can create the first child domain with the name "Child", but for the
second child domain (child.child.fst.local) , you will have to define a
different name

Cordialement

F.AGNES

Is this hypothetical, or are you saying that this is in place and
operating, though problematic?

The reason I ask, is because this won't (shouldn't!) work.  Firstly, let
me say that you're talking about to different naming schemes - the DNS
name or FQDN and the NetBIOS name.  A domain or machine will not be
allowed to duplicate the machine name or domain name of another system.
So, in effect, you would not have two domains with the NetBIOS name
'child'.

The display name is set at the time of domain creation - and if you
input 'child' for two domains, you will not be allowed to create it for
the NetBIOS name.  However, in your example you would for DNS, as the
total namespace is different (root to domain).

Rick Kingslan  MCSE, MCSA, MCT
Microsoft MVP - Active Directory
Associate Expert