Associate Expert

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, March 24, 2003 9:33 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=/servicedesks/webcasts/wc022703/wcblurb022703.asp

The below is referenced from:

http://winxp.bink.nu/ :

Interesting password points:

Password length and possible permutations
6 characters = 689,869,781,056
7 characters = 64,847,759,419,264
8 characters = 6,095,689,385,410,816
9 characters = 572,994,802,228,616,704
10 characters = 53,861,511,409,489,970,176

Given a 60 day password expiry date and a password of 7 characters, it would require about 7,407,407 logon attempts per second to find the password
Play the lottery, the odds are much better!

Password security recommendations:

Security Category

Account Lockout Settings**

Password Policy Settings