Stephen,

The answers to almost all your questions lie in the realm of access control
lists (ACLs). The security mechanisms in AD are quite flexible; you can
control access down to specific attributes, operations, and users. To answer
your specific questions...
1. Use ACLs to make the information unavailable.
2. Use ACLs to make the information unavailable.
3. Yes
4. Yes, although these are not "permissions on the search feature". You use
ACLs to grant update access to SELF, and deny update access to everyone
else.

I think there are ways to configure ADUC to display only certain attributes,
but I don't know much about that. Someone else on the list certainly can
comment.

The best reference I think is the Distributed Systems Guide in the Windows
2000 Server Resource Kit, Chapter 12 "Access Control". You can read it
online starting at
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/en-us/default.asp?url=/
windows2000/techinfo/reskit/en-us/distrib/dsce_ctl_MFXC.asp?frame=true .
There are certainly other articles and white papers and such, but the DSG
explains how all the machinery works, which I think is important to figuring
what you can and can't do.

-gil