From: Abbiss, Mark [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, April 03, 2003 7:38 AM
To: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
Subject: [ActiveDir] Additional drivers for W2K printing

I really hope someone can help me understand !!

This is my quandry.

I have a W2K server which is to be used as a printer server. We have a mixed
client base and so I would like use the support for installing additional
drivers to allow clients to "point and print" as the documentation calls it.

My first attempt was with a HP Laserjet 4000 but the same problem has
occured with numerous other models. The W2K driver is already up and running
and prints like a charm. Now I would like to provide the drivers for Win NT
and Win 9x clients to use.

I downloaded the necessary "point and print" driver bundle from the HP site,
unzipped them and went to install them.

I have repeated the procedure now in a 1000 different ways but the
additional drivers will not install. I select the HP 4000 under printers,
choose to add "Additional Drivers", make my selection from the list
available (Intel - Windows NT 4.0 or 2000), point the installation to the
INF file in the driver directory I just created and then I get an error "The
printer driver you selected is either not compatible with your current
version of windows, or............." but it is a driver supplied by HP for
Win NT !!!

The INF file is not called OEMSETUP.INF but has in this instance the name
HP2224p6.INF

Do I have to have an OEMSETUP.INF file and if I do why isnt it in the file
made available on the HP site ?

Please can anyone explain what is going wrong ?!? Any clues, any tips,
please !!

Many thanks,

Mark Abbiss