We have several (6) remote offices, each with 5-10 users, that are
connected via 256K FR circuits back here to the corporate office.  At
the present time, they are used for F&P services, wins, and dhcp.  We do
have plans to implement SMS in the future for software rollout and
desktop management.  All desktop clients are W2K as well as most roving
laptop users (the few remaining W9x laptops are being retired if they
can't be upgraded).

I am in the process of replacing their older W2K server with a new one
that has sufficient disk space, processor power and a larger tape
backup.  The question comes up as to make them domain controllers or
not.  If I want to control replication, I need to set up a site which
requires a DC.  OTOH, having a DC out there in the first place increases
traffic too.  Almost all useful information for the remote users exists
at the corporate site (Exchange, AS400, corporate shared data, etc.) so
they are pretty much dead in the water if the line is down anyway.

I asked this question as last fall's TechEd and got a majority of
opinions that making the servers DCs would probably not be an advantage
to such a small group of users that are depending on the central system
anyway to offset the DC traffic.

Is this still the consensus?  Although I could promote them later in the
field, it certainly would be easier to dcpromo them there before sending
them out.

Pete Carstensen, MCSE
Senior LAN Engineer
CSK Auto, Inc.