Title: Message
Thought so. FRS always meant bad day when I had to change a GPO or something in netlogon share. Makes me itch every time I hear I have to make a change and this is simple stuff. I haven't had anything fail in a long time but then I haven't changed anything in a really long time.

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Rick Kingslan
Sent: Wednesday, June 11, 2003 11:27 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: [ActiveDir] Possibly OT - DFS vs 3rd party DR

Well, technically speaking - it's actually the FRS that Dfs uses to get files in the replicas from place to place.  So, given that, it's FRS that has scarred me for life.  However, I've not had any problems with any other incarnaions of FRS in the product.  Huge issues with the replicas getting out of synch, holding on to just huge gobs of files without getting them to the other replicas (or, getting them onto the receiving server just to have the files sit there and fester).

And, I have to take some responsibility.  I tried to replicate things that Microsoft never told me that I coudn't.  (Yes, you read that right)  We excluded anything that might be an open file (.pst's, .mdb's, etc.) but until we opened a ticket with PSS, we didn't know that you couldn't Dfs RIS images.  Well, I know that you can't now, and 3 years later, it's much clearer as to why it's not really a good idea to try.

Regardless, Dfs is not as bad as it was.  And with the improvements in FRS, it's only going to get better.  Maybe.

Rick Kingslan  MCSE, MCSA, MCT
Microsoft MVP - Active Directory
Associate Expert