From: Hughes. Daryn (IT Solutions) [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, June 18, 2003 11:27 AM
To: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
Subject: [ActiveDir] Disk configuration for 2K DCs

Hi,

We are about to order in servers for our W2K pilot. All being well, these
servers will stay in place and become production. We are finding it
difficult to get recommendations for disk configuration for W2K DCs. We are
to have an Empty Root with one Child Domain for our new set-up.

We have approx. 7000 users. About half of our users are in Headoffice, with
the others spread around in approx. 45 remote sites. The remote sites will
mostly contain a DC running Exchange 2K, SMS, file and print. Their
spec/config will be determined by what will best suit their consolidated
role. In Headoffice though, we tend to dedicate servers to their roles.
Configuration advice is plentiful for applications such as Exchange, SMS
etc., but not so for DCs. Some of what we are finding is conflicting.

We are leaning towards having a similar disk configuration as Exchange -
1*Mirror Set for OS, 1*Mirror Set for Logs, 1*Raid 5 Set for Database.
Possibly compromising and having the OS and the Logs on the same Mirror Set
but different partitions.

Any advice on best practice? What configuration are you guys running?

regards
Daryn Hughes

are addressed.
Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author, and do not
necessarily
represent those of ESB.

Although ESB scans e-mail and attachments for viruses, it does not guarantee

that either are virus-free and accepts no liability for any damage sustained

as a result of viruses.