Associate Expert

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Fuller, Stuart
Sent: Friday, July 11, 2003 3:41 PM
To: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
Subject: RE: [ActiveDir] admt 2.0 - nt4 computer migration

G,

Can't really speak to the specific technical upgrade process for ADMT.  If I
remember correctly, we simply installed the latest version over the top of
the new one and everything seemed to work out.  I think we did have to
reinstall the password export service again...

We ran the majority of our migrations from the ADMTv2 off of the .Net Server
(e.g. 2003) Beta 3 CD.  We wanted the v2 because of the password migration
bit.  We did update the ADMT from the Beta3 version to the RC1 version at
about 3/4 through our migration. We didn't really see any differences and
upgrading didn't solve a broke workstation migration issue we were having on
a dual-proc machine.

If it is the NT policy, then on the NT workstation you are trying to
migrate, back out the allowed run policy and then try the migration again.
If changing the policy via poledit doesn't work you can try looking at the
reg keys.  JSI FAQ (http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBA/tip0000/rh0050.htm) lists the
two you need to look at
(HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explor
er\ RestrictRun = 1 and  entries under
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explore
r\RestrictRun). Test the workstation by running some "unallowed" application
first so that you know the policy has really been backed out and not
reapplied through whatever your distribution mechanism is.

If backing off the NT policy doesn't work then re-verify the ADMT setup
(http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=260871).  Can you migrate any other
NT/2000/XP workstations? If so then ADMT is probably set up correctly and
the trouble will be with the specific NT workstation build.

According to JSI's note 0362, the RestrictRun policy only works on processes
run from the Explorer process. I have no clue if the agent process is being
remotely initiated on the workstation via the Explorer process but if
between workee and no-workee this is the only difference.....

Additionally, I couldn't find in my brief surfing expedition what
specifically the agent .exe are.  Looking at our ADMT console the two
probable candidates are "ADMTAgnt.exe" and "DCTAgentService.exe".  If the
only solution is to add the agent executables to the allowed list then
hopefully someone else on the mailing list knows what these really are.

Stuart Fuller
Active Directory
State of Montana