Excellent, thanks Robbie. I'll use a new hostname.

Thanks for the KB articles too.

-Jbl

-----Original Message-----
From: Robbie Allen [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, July 25, 2003 4:39 PM
To: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
Subject: RE: [ActiveDir] Failed SP4 install on a DC

It is safe, but before you re-promote it, you'll need to remove the objects
in AD that are associated with the previous build.  Unfortunately you can't
simply reuse the DC-related objects in AD after rebuilding.  The safest
option is to use a different host name for the new build to ensure nothing
gets confused.

Here are the relevant MS KB articles:

MS KB 216498 (HOW TO: Remove Data in Active Directory After an Unsuccessful
Domain Controller Demotion)

MS KB 332199 (Using the DCPROMO /FORCEREMOVAL Command to Force the Demotion
of Active Directory Domain Controllers)

Regards,
Robbie Allen
http://www.rallenhome.com/