Charles,

I'd suggest strongly not to conclude that there's a problem simply because
of this output.  If you aren't seeing errors, there is no problems on the
system (i.e. incorrect behavior, crashing, improper application of GPO or
missing / incorrect settings) and the Application and System Event logs are
not showing anything other than the successful SceCli messages - I'd not get
too worried.

Now, Tony mentioned that it's not a good idea to mess with the Default
policies in Windows 2000.  He's right, but I'm going to contradict my good
friend Mr. Murray.  I don't know of anything that READS the NAME of the
policy.  Much like a user, group or computer being identified by SID rather
than display name, the Default policies are identified by GUID.  You cannot
delete the Default policies and recreate them by simply creating a new
policy and naming them Default Domain Policy or Default Domain Controller
Policy and expect them to work.  The GUID must be exact.

So, IMHO, if you want to rename it - you can.  However, I'd leave it alone
lest you forget what it really is and delete it - which, sadly, would be
much worse than the report of duplicate objects in GPRESULT

=======================================

Wait - I just thought of a situation where I have seen duplicate GPO names
in GPRESULT.  This was caused by a conflict resolved object that was visible
via GPRESULT.  I found it by using ADSIEdit and drilling into the Domain
NC/System/Policies node.  Here I found an object prefixed with a CNF: that
needed to be removed.

Caveat - this IN NOT an operation to be taken lightly!  AND!  In my case it
was NOT the Default Domain Policy.

Rick Kingslan  MCSE, MCSA, MCT
Microsoft MVP - Active Directory
Associate Expert