From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, August 29, 2003 7:38 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [ActiveDir] When to seize FSMO roles in a Disaster

Background:

A company we consult for has AD implemented in three sites.  One Domain, AD is in Native Mode.  A DNS and Global Catalog server exist in each site.  Site locations are VB, NV and DC.  VB is the hub with a leased line T1 to DC and two T1s, load balanced, to NV.

VB is home location and domain controllers in VB hold all FSMO roles.  NV is semi-active production, but also established as a Disaster Recovery site in case VB goes boom! (lots of military targets in Hampton Roads).  DC is a production site.

Question is:

If something happens in VB, when does it become absolutely necessary to seize FSMO roles in NV?  I take it we would have to follow the same procedure in DC...???  I understand once the roles are seized the domain controllers that held the roles must not come back up, not an issue.

Shawn Hayes, MCSE
Sr. Network Engineer
Compass Technology Management
Sound Business Sense for IT