From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Roger Seielstad
Sent: Tuesday, September 02, 2003 11:22 AM
To: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
Subject: RE: [ActiveDir] DNS Scavenging and DHCP Lease Expiration Times

<Quietly hides the 4 hour lease time on his DHCP scopes>

Actually, I advocate the shorter the better, but my environment is predominantly laptops. Between people moving across our subnets, and more often people taking their laptops onto home networks (or other corporate networks, as the case may be). The net effect is that every time the clients change networks, they basically lose the ability to recover their prior lease (at least 50% of the time, if the DHCP server isn't entirely brain dead). At that point, you've got a lot of leases that are left hangling.

Then again, there is precious little traffic generated in DHCP transactions, so a short lease time isn't buying a significant jump in network traffic, either.

Roger D. Seielstad - MTS MCSE MS-MVP
Sr. Systems Administrator
Inovis Inc.