From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Roger Seielstad
Sent: Friday, September 12, 2003 9:41 AM
To: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
Subject: RE: [ActiveDir] Any AD GURUS who Patch Systems? - using operating SystemHotFix

In general, I like the concept. A few thoughts.

First - what's the size limit of the attribute? Some Win2k systems have required upwards of 30 patches, if not more, between service packs - which is 30x9 +1 = 271 bytes. So if that's a 255 char limit, you're going to overflow it. If that's the limit, what about storing as hex and dropping the leading KB or Q number?

Second - I'd suggest a push for hotfix.exe to be modified to append whatever appropriate value is decided upon for the first issue to that attrib. That strikes me as fairly simple, assuming permissions on that attribute are logical. Obviously this would require some buy in from the team at Microsoft, but its there and usable, it should be used.

Third - Where does QFECheck get its information? It can't scan the drives - it is WAY too fast for that. I'm guessing its stored in the registry (I know most hotfixes are stored there by default). I'd think that might be a faster and more trustworthy scheme than scraping the output of QFECheck.

If I ever get out from under my current workload (the end is definitely in sight) I'd be willing to chip in and help with that.
Roger

Roger D. Seielstad - MTS MCSE MS-MVP
Sr. Systems Administrator
Inovis Inc.