This is the perfect case of when to break out a network monitor and watch
the traffic. Do what it is you are trying to do and see what the network is
doing.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Bill Moran
Sent: Saturday, October 18, 2003 2:05 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Hello all,

I posted earlier concerning Windows XP machines not allowing any scripts to
run and presenting no clue as to why.

After additional discussion with other techs, as well as multiple searches
on the 'net, we decided to completely reinstall the two machines.  This
solved the IE problem.

However, we are getting error messages on 1 machine, but not on the other.

The one machine claims it can not contact the domain server. (which is
ridiculous because it's mounting shared drives from it, and those shares
function properly)  Event ID 5719.

These two machines are identical in every way.  Same hardware.  Same
software and versions of software.  Plugged in side by side to the same
switch.

The ONLY difference we can imagine, is that the one with the problem was
configured for a workgroup during install, and then joined to the domain
afterwards (just the tech clicking without thinking) while the one that
works was joined to the domain during the initial install.

I'm putting this out for two reasons: 1 -> to see if anyone has any insight
as to what's happening. 2 -> to have this information made public, so if
others come across it they can see they're not alone.

Perhaps someone with some time and a lab available could test to see if the
problem I describe is, in fact, caused by the install process described, or
if it's just coincidence.

Both machines appear to function properly aside from the errors.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies

List FAQ    : http://www.activedir.org/list_faq.htm