We have an head office running an AD based network. We have several
smaller satellite offices running workgroup based networks.

We now need to integrate all the offices into one AD so that users can
move able with the same logons, and that all the AD management and
maintainance can be done from one place.

I was thinking of settup up the smaller offices as child domains of the
main one, so small_office1.mydomain.com etc, which, as I understand it,
should allow me to manage all the user accounts from one place. I was
also going to have a GC at each small office so that they can still
logon etc if the lines are disconnected.

The question I have though is (maybe) a simple one. How do I setup the
DNS so that the DCPROMO applet in each satellite office will work ?
Currently the sites are connected via VPN, and each satellite office has
forward and reverse DNS entries pointing to the Head Offices domain
(using the internal IP's). However, when we enter the domain into the
domain section of the DCPROMO applet, it barfs a lung.

I know that im missing something, or coming at this the wrong way, but I
have no idea where to start. If you could help that would be great.

Olly