I am having an issue with a Windows 2003 AD integrated DNS server doing recursive
lookups to find MX records for my outbound mail.

Prior to our AD deployment, we were running split brained DNS with Windows 2000 DNS
servers internally and externally. Post upgrade, our internal DNS moved
to Windows 2003 DNS. Afterwards DNS lookups for web sites appeared to work fine as you
could surf the web etc. But in the case of our mail servers and
nslookup, all MX record requests would fail, thus blocking outbound email. Using
Google, TechNet, and a nice thick Windows 2003 book (William Boswell's), I
have to the best of my ability, confirmed that the internal Windows 2003 DNS is setup
to do recursive lookups for domains other than the ones it hosts, and
in the case of web browsing it does in fact work, even after I clear the DNS caches of
my internal servers.

To get MX lookups to function, I have had to set the internal servers to forward to
one of my two public DNS servers running Windows 2000 DNS. Once done the
MX lookups function again just as before. I will need to be upgrading our public
servers to Windows 2003 in the very near future and I am afraid that once I
do, the MX lookups will fail again.

Has anyone else run into this? If not, any suggestions on places to look for more
info, or settings to confirm, would be MOST appreciated. I'd really
like/need to have my internal servers doing all of the lookups on their own.

Miles

Miles Holt, MCP
Network Engineer
Summit Marketing