No, by default as an Exchange admin you should NOT be able to access mailboxes of other people.  That's an Exchange 2000 feature.
Additionally, you can be an Exchange admin for one AG and not for another which may result in your errors.

there's a kb that talks about how to grant the service account access located at http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;262054

From: Steve Shaff [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, October 31, 2003 12:52 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [ActiveDir] Exchange 2003

 Greetings,

I realize that this is an Active Directory forum, but I have an Exchange 2003 question.  We are in the middle of the migration and apparently some of the permission between the Exchange 2000 server and Exchange 2003 server are incorrect.  I am unable to determine where the error or mismatch occurs.  As an Exchange Admin (domain admin and enterprise admin), I need and should have access to other peoples mailboxes, but don't.  I get a "unable to display" error.  Could someone help me out with the permissions?

Thanks,
Steve