From: GRILLENMEIER,GUIDO (HP-Germany,ex1) [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, November 05, 2003 4:04 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: [ActiveDir] native mode

John - it sounds like Mark is talking about a 2000 domain - not that it makes too much of a difference, but 2000 doesn't know about functional levels (especially not about forest functional levels).  Mark, correct me if I'm wrong.

However, since in 2000 the domain mode really only effects the domain, you should be able to revert to mixed mode by turning back the clock.  I wouldn't do so by restoring every DC though - I'd just restore one (the PDCE) and then DCPROMO the rest. Any other option would be too risky - although the other suggestion made by Phil to keep one DC offline during the process and then if required to seize roles on it is also a good one. Nevertheless, all other DCs need to be cleaned from the metadata and re-promoted.  Not nice, but the "most supported" way.

Ofcourse, you'll want to discuss a point of no-return: this would be after you've started to leverage the new features of the native domain, such as creating Universal Security Groups and nesting these into UGs of other domains, leveraging SIDhistory (although I hear this also works in mixed mode, but is not supported...)