Orin,

Another DC would be the way to go if you can arrange good physical security
for your DC, figure out the secure network connectivity, and a good way to
remotely manage the DC.  Then you really have a hot site instead of a DR
site.

The key on DR for Active Directory is to test your DR method.  You "can"
restore AD from tape from the ground up although this should be your
absolutely last resort.  You will have better luck restoring AD onto exact
hardware but you can do it on dissimilar hardware if you can get past the
HAL and device driver issues.  Dissimilar hardware restores are an issue for
us since our servers are mostly Dell and the DR servers are Compaq.

Some good KB articles on this subject (Some have been mentioned before in
this thread):

1. How to Perform a Disaster Recovery Restoration of Active Directory on
Dissimilar Hardware   --> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=263532

2. Active Directory Disaster Recovery -
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/ad/windows2000/support/adrecov.
asp

3. Best Practice Recommendation for Recovery you Active Directory Forest -
http://download.microsoft.com/download/win2000srv/utility/1.001/nt5/en-us/fo
restrecovery.exe

Dissimilar hardware issues:

4. Network Adapters are missing or incorrect in Device Manager after you run
NTBackup to restore system state data  -
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=810161  (This problem fixed in 2000-SP4)

5. I was able to resolve a restore of a VM ESX Server DC to a Compaq DL380
by following the steps on in-place upgrade mentioned in KB 263532. That
process fixed the HAL and the various device driver issues I encountered.
An in-place upgrade retains AD and security while re-enumerating the HAL and
devices.

6. If you have trouble with your third-party vendor backup product for
restores onto dissimilar hardware, try using NTBackup.  I have found that
for whatever reason, NTBackup will work while some other products don't.

-Stuart

P.S. Of course some of the issues with dissimilar hardware restores and bare
metal restores are much better handled in Window Server 2003 with Automated
System Recovery (ASR).  Make me temped to move to 2K3 much sooner than
planned...