From: GRILLENMEIER,GUIDO (HP-Germany,ex1) [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, November 20, 2003 12:06 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; Ravdal, Stig
Subject: RE: [ActiveDir] Managing Sites in Forest with Empty Root

As John already said: it's not really wise to try to delegate everything, as otherwise you're giving away the keys to the kingdom afterall...  And if this is your only reason for creating that extra empty root domain, then you might as well stick to a clean single-domain-forest model: as soon as you give domain admin rights to someone else in your child domain, you've basically passed out these precious keys.

It's a simple thing for a domain admin to work himself up the tree and become Enterprise Admin - not necessarily what you'd expect, but that's the way it is.  MS is finally being public about this - check out the AD Security Whitepaper that was released a while ago.  It's best to keep a very small team with EA+DA rights and delegate other tasks on the OU level only.

If you still want to delegate site-administration (even in a single-domain-forest) you'll have to grant numerous permissions on various objects to make this happen - but depending on what you really want to delegate, you may only need a few. Here is a sample from the upcoming AD Delegation Whitepaper from Microsoft (only 5 more days...):

Task

Permissions Required to Perform Task

Create a Site / Add a Site

CC on cn=Sites, cn=Configuration, dc=<ForestRootDomain> (to create obejcts of class Site)

Rename a Site

WP on the corresponding site object, cn=<Site>, cn=Sites, cn=Configuration, dc=<forestRootDomain> to modify the common-name attribute

Specify the location of a Site

WP on the corresponding site object, cn=<Site>, cn=Sites, cn=Configuration, dc=<forestRootDomain> to modify the Location attribute

Associate a Group Policy with a Site

WP on the corresponding site object, cn=<Site>, cn=Sites, cn=Configuration, dc=<forestRootDomain> to modify the GP-Link attribute

Modify Site Group Policy Options

WP on the corresponding site object, cn=<Site>, cn=Sites, cn=Configuration, dc=<forestRootDomain> to modify the GP-Options attribute

Move a Domain Controller between sites

WP on the Server object being moved to modify Common-Name attribute
DC on the object cn=Servers, cn=<Current-Site>, cn=Sites, cn=Configuration, dc=<forestRootDomain> (to delete objects of class Server)
CC on the object cn=Servers, cn=<New-Site>, cn=Sites, cn=Configuration, dc=<forestRootDomain> (to create objects of class Server)

/Guido