From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, December 12, 2003 10:11 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: [ActiveDir] User export

If the Policy does not allow for blank passwords, then I assume the import fails.

If I were doing this, I'd use the ADModify tool to export the accounts. The output will be an ldf file. I'd use an encoder like this (http://www.opinionatedgeek.com/DotNet/Tools/Base64Encode/Default.aspx) to encode a base64 password. I'd open up the file ldf in notepad and add the following lines to EACH entry (bearing in mind that there are 2 blank lines between EACH entries in the ldf file, and that I need to maintain those 2 blank lines, even at the end of the file!!):
replace: unicodePwd
unicodePwd::<whatever the base64 equivalent of the password is>

Example (assword encoded):

dn: CN=Akomolafe Postmaster,OU=AD Import OU,DC=mydomainname,DC=com
changetype: add
objectClass: user
cn: Akomolafe Postmaster
givenName: Akomolafe
sn: Postmaster
sAMAccountName: postmaster
codePage: 0
countryCode: 0
DisplayName: Akomolafe Postmaster
name: Akomolafe Postmaster
userPrincipalName: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
replace: unicodePwd
unicodePwd::YXNzd29yZA==

dn: CN=DHCP Registrar,OU=AD Import OU,DC=mydomainname,DC=com
changetype: add
objectClass: user
cn: DHCP Registrar
givenName: DHCP
sn: Registrar
sAMAccountName: dhcpregistrar
codePage: 0
countryCode: 0
DisplayName: DHCP Registrar
name: DHCP Registrar
userPrincipalName: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
replace: unicodePwd
unicodePwd::YXNzd29yZA==

dn: CN=dummy,OU=AD Import OU,DC=mydomainname,DC=com
changetype: add
objectClass: user
cn: dummy
givenName: dummy
sAMAccountName: dummy
codePage: 0
countryCode: 0
DisplayName: dummy
name: dummy
userPrincipalName: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
replace: unicodePwd
unicodePwd::YXNzd29yZA==

dn: CN=IIS USERACCT,OU=AD Import OU,DC=mydomainname,DC=com
changetype: add
objectClass: user
cn: IIS USERACCT
givenName: IIS
sn: USERACCT
sAMAccountName: dom_webman
codePage: 0
countryCode: 0
DisplayName: IIS USERACCT
name: IIS USERACCT
userPrincipalName: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
replace: unicodePwd
unicodePwd::YXNzd29yZA==

Then I'd import this file, using ADmodify, into my destination Domain.

HTH

Sincerely,

Dèjì Akómöláfé,
MCSE MCSA MCP+I
www.akomolafe.com
www.iyaburo.com
Do you now realize that Today is the Tomorrow you were worried about Yesterday?  -anon