HP/Microsoft support came through.  Apparently, this problem is related to a known issue with TS and Winlogon.exe in Windows 2003.

To fix it one needs a hotfix version of Winlogon.exe (http://support.microsoft.com/?id=821929) and a reg hack to make the winlogon process ignore errors when attempting to read the user's AD TS configuration data (http://support.microsoft.com/?id=815266).

-Stuart

From: Fuller, Stuart [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, December 12, 2003 10:51 AM
To: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
Subject: RE: [ActiveDir] Windows 2003 Server, Firewalls, Terminal Services , and AD Trusts

Guido,

Thanks for reply and the link to the article - very useful.

However, the TS port really isn't the issue.  I can TS to the member server with no problems.  The problem is that when I log into the member server via TS with a trusted account I get rejected.  With Windows 2000 TS, the trusted account logon request gets passed through the firewall via the member server DC's and the holes open between the member server DC's and the trusted DC's.  With 2003 TS, it looks like the member server needs to contact the trusted DC's directly.   I don't really want to open the ports on the firewall to allow traffic from the member server to the trusted DC.  I would prefer that 2003 like 2000 is able to "proxy" the logon request via the member server DC's.

The odd thing about this is that the problem only occurs with a TS logon.  If I use a trusted account and logon at the physical console I don't have any problems. Also, any shares and other security bits seem to work just find.  I am stumped on this so that's why the query to the list.  I do have a ticket in with our Microsoft support provider HP but so far no solution or explanation.

-Stuart