Using WMI to write scripts to monitor servers, specifically event logs works extremely well.  I did just that with WMI at our company.  I went as far as to script out the permanent monitoring of processes, processor, memory, disk, various eventlog combinations, and various filesystem details.  Your scripts could be as simple as a couple dozen lines or a couple thousand lines like mine.  We run this for about the past 2 years with definitive success.  We have some automated actions defined using the ActiveScriptConsumer, but most alerts send email to a specific email account that has about 20 rules setup on it to redirect alerts to appropriate people throughout the organization.

There are some excellent WMI books at the book stores.  Read a little...do a lot!

(I should also note that we are now going through a successful implementation of Tivoli [which is nearly completely WMI based for the Windows platform] and will soon disable the custom monitoring that I've written)

Eric Jones, Senior SE
Intel Server Group
(W) 336.424.3084
(M) 336.457.2591