-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Rick Kingslan
Sent: Wednesday, January 07, 2004 8:47 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: [ActiveDir] Changing domain name/joining a forest or parent
d omain

Bruce,

I've been very successful with this method, but it does involve some risk
(and nerves of steel) - but it can be mitigated.  It's not a completely
supported method, although there used to be a KB article on it.  Might still
be there, but I'm not sure (and, not inclined to look....  ;o)

There is a key requirement - you must still be in a mixed-mode, not native.
I.E. you must still be able to support Windows NT 4.0 BDCs.  If you can't -
stop here, read no further, and delete the message - because what I'm about
to outline will be of no help at all.

There is one other key element - you must be willing to demote ALL of your
current Windows 2000 DCs to member servers.  This procedure will retain all
current users, groups, and computers.

1.  Build a Windows NT 4.0 BDC in your 'DN' domain
2.  Go to the Protocol options and DNS - set the host and domain name,
domain to DN.COM
3.  Force a synch of the domain (NET ACCOUNTS /SYNC) with the Win2k DC (for
good measure - let it bubble for a while... I like 24 hrs.)
4.  If you have only one DC, jump to Step 7
5.  Select the DC with, or transfer all roles to one DC.
6.  DCPromo down all other DCs via Start / Run / 'dcpromo' - each DC, at
completion will be a member server.
7.  Disconnect the last Win2k DC from the network.  DCPromo the DC via Start
/ Run / 'DCPromo'.  After it restarts, it will be a member of a workgroup.
You can rejoin it to the domain at this point, if you choose.
8.  From Server Manager in NT 4.0, upgrade the BDC to a PDC.  If it
complains that it cannot find a PDC, choose to proceed.
9.  Go to the Protocol options and DNS - set the host and domain name,
domain to DN.COM
10. On the NT 4.0 PDC that you just promoted, upgrade to Windows 2000, and
when DCPromo starts, choose to name it the DN.COM domain.
11. Other member servers that you wish to promote to DCs, you can now run
DCPromo to add them as additional DC in an existing domain.

It would be wise around step 8 - 9 to review DNS.  The DN domain and zone
file will be no longer relevant, and you will need the DN.COM domain.  Be
sure that DNS will be able to receive and manage the new domain and zone
files.  If not, be prepared to allow DCPromo and the processes therein to
create a DNS server for you.  But, I suspect that you must already have one
- as you clearly already have AD....

I hope this helps, Bruce.  It's fairly easy, but can be a bit tense as you
literally eviscerate your current domain.

Good luck!  Let us know how this works out!

Rick Kingslan  MCSE, MCSA, MCT
Microsoft MVP - Active Directory
Associate Expert
WebLog - www.msmvps.com/willhack4food