Good Morning Folks

I'm having a bit of a problem and I'm wondering if one of you fine people can help me
out. First, let me give you a outline of the structure here. I have (2) 2000 servers,
one
in the DMZ (Exchange Server, our clients rely heavily on OWA), and the other sitting
in trusted. The Operations Master is the server sitting on the inside, the Schema
Master is the server sitting in the DMZ. I have been called here to upgrade everything
to 2003 Server. Here's where I'm at:

I have placed a 2003 server (brand new box) on the network. This box is currently
sitting
in trusted, but it will eventually be the new Exchange server. I want to run ADPREP
/FORESTPREP on the Schema Master to bring the 2003 server into the AD. Since I
really don't want to take the Exchange server off the network to do this, and since
that box
will be getting demoted anyway, I thought I would move the Schema Master role to the
server currently sitting in trusted, and run ADPREP against it. However, when I
attempt to
do this, I get an error; "The current FSMO holder could not be contacted".

Does the Exchange server (Schema Master) need to come out of the DMZ?

TIA!

-Frank